Nikki, Florida Agriculture Commissioner Fried is dedicated to improving the health, safety, prosperity, and lives of all Floridians, including the hundreds of thousands of LGBTQ+ Floridians. From promoting opportunities in agriculture to fighting discrimination and fraud targeting the LGBTQ+ community, the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) is ready to serve LGBTQ+ Floridians.
LGBTQ+ initiatives at FDACS
January 2019: One of the commissioners FriedThe ruling company’s first actions were to outlaw discrimination in the workplace based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
March 2019: Commissioner Fried appointed the first FDACS LGBTQ Consumer Advocate to serve as the department’s liaison with Florida’s LGBTQ+ community, raise awareness of opportunities within the agriculture industry, and help combat discrimination and fraud targeted at the LGBTQ+ community .
May 2020: Commissioner Fried established within FDACS a Diversity and Inclusion Task Force, a 12-member committee with diverse backgrounds and perspectives, which reviewed existing departmental policies and developed recommendations to improve diversity, inclusion and equity within the department.
September 2020: “Inclusion” has been added to the department’s core values of professionalism, commitment, integrity, innovation and excellence.
Bullying is a growing concern for all Floridians because its prevalence is pervasive and has a strong impact on a student’s well-being, social functioning, and academic success. LGBTQ+ students, or those perceived to be, are disproportionately the victims of bullying and harassment. Section 1006.147, Florida Laws, also known as the Jeffrey Johnston Stand Up for All Students Act, prohibits bullying or harassment of any K-12 public school student or employee on school grounds, during events sponsored by the school and via school computer networks.
Parents, school staff, and other adults in the community can help prevent bullying by talking about it, creating a safe school environment, and creating a community-wide bullying prevention strategy.
Learn to identify bullying. Resist bullying safely. These are the keys to prevention.
Resources for educators
Resources for Parents
Resources for young people
- Teen and school health (CDC): Resources for professional development, tools for creating a safe and supportive environment, and health considerations for LGBTQ youth.
- American Psychological Association: Resources and data related to understanding sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Equality Florida: Safe and Healthy LGBTQ+ Schools Project: Best practice resources for creating safe and nurturing environments for all students.
- Human Rights Campaign Foundation: Welcoming Schools: A comprehensive, bias-based bullying prevention program to provide LGBTQ and gender-inclusive professional development training, lesson plans, book lists, and resources specifically designed for educators and serving professionals. youth.
- The National Lifeline for Suicide Prevention, LGBTQ+: Resources specific to the LGBTQ+ community and those who support it. Helpline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
- The Trevor Project: The world’s largest crisis prevention and response organization for LGBTQ youth, offering 24/7 access by phone, text and chat: 1-866-488-7386.
- US Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights (OCR): Resources for LGBTQI+ Students: The mission of the OCR is to ensure equal access to education and to promote excellence in education through the vigorous enforcement of civil rights in the schools of our nation. Bullying, harassment, exclusion from school activities and other forms of discrimination can hinder LGBTQI+ students’ access to a safe and inclusive school environment. Federal law, however, requires schools to ensure that LGBTQI+ students and other students have equal access to all aspects of a school’s programs and activities.
- Youth Risk Behavior Survey, Data Summary and Trends Report 2009-2019 (CDC): The most recent surveillance data on health behaviors and experiences among high school students in the United States